Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Burnin' Down The House

Alright. This has gone a little too long. Forgive me, having had not weekend for homework, I'm struggling to catch up again.

Last weekend saw SOT going to various shows, as you can see in the post below (except for Serena Maneesh, but more on that later). I'll be doing a 3-day installment for all three days. First of which being this.

Last Friday saw a fair amount of people going to what I would venture to say will be one of We Are Scientists last small shows they will ever play. Fortunately, we were able to get in to the sold out show (Keith snuck us on the guest list), and we met the first people at a show who knew about this blog. Uh... w00t? There were also the first sign of swooning adolescent girls with homemade shirts with "i <3 Keith" on the back. But more on them on a later date as well. Now to the important part, the show.

Opener: Shy Child.

At first, I was very intrigued by their set up. I mean they had a key-tar for Christ's sake. On the whole, the two member band (the aforementioned key-tar and drums) was fairly decent. At times their sound bordered too close to techno, however, and one song in particular was no more than a loop of the same lyrics and notes. Some songs were pretty entertaining, though, and it was if nothing else an interesting set.

The Oxford Collapse came on next. They played a slightly shorter set than I remembered at Bowery, but a good one. They covered "Proud Mary" by request; I had remembered they played it at Galapagos last summer. The set was similar to the Bowery one, intense as always, although with much less stamping, which has its pros and cons of course. The last song of their set was reminiscent of "sing-a-longs at Hebrew Camp," for which the Scientist's all came on stage and sang along.

After a short set change, We Are Scientists were up. Again, not much different from Bowery, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They covered "Be My Baby" again, for which this time The Oxford Collapse came on with tambourines and sang along. Lots of fun. At one point, the Scientists' tour manager lept up on stage and started dancing around, of which we took incriminating photos at the prodding of Christian Owens. After a fair amount of their set had gone by, something utterly amazing happened. We Are Scientists, through sheer power of their rock, set a speaker ablaze. That's right. A speaker was too puny to withstand the barrage of angular guitar riffs to do anything else but spontaneously combust. Unfortunately, this tolled for a shortened set, as they were forced to end their set. After the show, Ross and I headed over to Manhattan for our next day of shenanigans.

We Are Scientists
The Oxford Collapse
Shy Child

Oh, and kudos to the bastard who stole my peacoat. Nothing like making a scrawny kid with no natural insulaiton freeze all weekend. Well done.

1 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I heard Grandaddy is breaking up. I haven't had a chance to listen to them but I think you sent me like every album they ever made or something. Also, it's kinda funny that the Strokes are making their come back show in New York on March 3. And you and Ross have already purchased tickets to two shows that night. I would go see the Strokes but now I have your stupid Of Montreal tickets haha. Oh well, I have their new album and it's definately the worst of the three. Anyway, I figured I'd contribute some info. Talk to ya soon. PS- I need you to send me Loaded by the Velvet Underground because I can't rip my copy. PSS- Brian Bell and Pat Wilson have supposedly covered Heroin by the Velvets. Ok finally done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home