Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Friday, November 18, 2005

And yea another lad burst upon the indie blog scene, and they dubbed him Brian the Guest Writer

Hello, how are you doing? Good? Oh, that's nice. That's good to he- oh, me? I'm doing alright. Who am I? Well, I'm neither Kyle or Ross, even though this is really their blog. I am too lazy for such things, and going to school in the middle of a cornfield with no transportation (DeSales University- a history of suck) has slowed my intake of delicious indie shows to a crawl. A crawl, I dare say! However, Kyle and Ross have been kind enough to throw me the occasional hit of show during my withdrawal, for which I am grateful. They have also entrusted me to be a guest writer for their review of the Man Man show we were able to intake greedily through our ears, peepers, and the other delightful assortment of senses. So, to be concise, Kyle and Ross say I can be the occasional ghostwriter, except without the ability to be a floating yellow orb (obscure children's television show referance, squee!). Unfortunately, all I had the chance/ knowledge to write about was the Man Man portion of the show. Hopefully Kyle or Ross will add some more info about the other acts later. Hope you enjoy the review, if you squint real hard at it you'll think you're reading something right off of Pitchfork Media. MMM, overwrought!

Seeing Man Man live is like watching a kick to your head. Chaos and coherence form an organized riot on the stage, as men in differing white outfits bang out music with all the spiritual enthusiasm of whirling dervishes, spinning themselves closer and closer to a higher musical power. Look closely at each band member as they play, and you can see the passion flit across their faces, a myriad of emotions that dance and change in seeming emotive rhythm with their music. Caught in the front of the crowd, I could see the drummer’s face form into the occasional scowl, or maybe it was a yowl, as though he was crying without tears; the man who pounded mantra-beatings on my heart was feeling the music wash over him, yet still played the role of emotional conductor to the audience. Near the middle of the performance the music was a physical presence squatting on my heart, which would have had me worried if I cared about a heart attack.
It’s hard to relate the thrill of seeing a Man Man show to one who wasn’t there; at best, all I can do is toss in a cut-up of sensory descriptions from my over-stimulated mind. Two girls beside me at the show nursed a bottle of whisky back to health at the beginning of the set, so for me Man Man is a force of nature with the bittersweet rank of whiskey and sweat. Man Man is a string of glowing eyes wrapped around an electric piano base, a yellow lit drum squatting in their sight. A pair of spatulas beat against themselves, and then anything within their reach. A glowing orb thing that seemed to serve no musical purpose except to add another layer of eccentricity to an already surreal scene.
A kick ass show by a kick ass band.
If Man Man’s goal is to overwhelm their audience with both music and spectacle, they pull it off without a hitch. Their music creates a sense of chaotic melody that wraps itself around a listener’s brain, numbing him to anything else besides the sound and the show. I love it when the music takes over all your senses, leaving you to revel in the sound from your own creative zone; it’s as close to perfect meditation as I can get, and I love every band that brings me there.
Oh, and spectacle? Goodness me, but they are fun to watch. Although I’ve yet to see them perform in their crazier costumes, the show was still an unreal experience. Through the chaos ran a strange current of coherence, which raised its head occasionally throughout the show (mmm…mixing metaphors). I nearly had a stroke when, during one song, the sitting members of the band repeatedly jumped out of their chairs without seeming to have choreographed the move beforehand, and at the same time managed to leave the song flawless.
All this musical goodness, and apparently with almost all new members in the band. As Man Man mainstay and lead singer/keyboardist Honus Honus informed our inquisitive young Kyle on our way out, the Man Man we saw perform at the Terrace Club with Ted Leo back in March was an entirely different version from the one we just saw play; in fact, that version of the band broke up just a week after we were lucky enough to see them, reflecting the group’s revolving door policy.
So in about eight months, this new band was able to both perform such a tight set and also record a new album (due out soon)?
Only one word can describe that, dear reader, and it applies to the entire band as well:
Sextastic. Simply Sextastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home