Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Five Maseratis


Well, by now, I think it's safe to assume that if you've been reading this blog, you know that I really like guitar pop. Well, here's another one of those obscure bands that I've known about for a while who deserve a spot on this blog.

I saw the Five Maseratis open for Ted Leo a few months ago at CBGB's alongside the Willowz (I know... the review is coming. Patience.) and others. I would say that, for the night, and besides Ted, the four-piece (that's right, four guys, five maseratis) were my favorite band that played. They are able to marry nice catchy guitar rhythms with a fair but not obnoxious amount of synthesizer. Their self-titled EP is truly amazing. I was lucky enough to get a free one at the CBGB's show. They're able to play songs like "Sandwich (I Asked For A)", and "Astronaut Ice Cream" while still keeping a serious attitude. The song titles, by the way, make sense, I promise. The cover art, seen partially above, is also excellent (the inside sports a three, yes, you heard correctly, three-necked guitar). The inside of the booklet is guitar tabs for all of the songs, which I found pretty funny.

Here are some samples, courtesy of their website:

Everything Is Falling Apart

Sandwich (I Asked For A)
Quasimoto

And yes, there is still incentive to purchase the EP for a mere 5 dollars. "Astronaut Ice Cream" is a brilliant song. Or just go see them live if you live in PA or near the great city of New York. Unfortunately, the NYC show is the same day as a Ted Leo concert. Oh, the irony.

  • Friday, November 11th - The Darkhorse Tavern, 128 E. College Ave., State College, PA
    • w/ TBA
    • Saturday, December 3rd - Knitting Factory, New York, NY
      • w/ Sticker, Group Sounds $8, All Ages
    The Five Maseratis

    By the way, the link for the WAS video below is up and working. Sorry for any inconvenience while it was being worked on. We're new at this, give us a break. Thanks again to Ross for having the steady hand while sheer awesome was unfolding in front of him.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home