Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Monday, February 20, 2006

Someone Still Loves You, Bishop Allen

For weeks before the 10th of this month, I was looking forward to seeing Bishop Allen play at Piano's, and to pick up my own January EP. I guess you could even go as far to say that I was "stoked". The plan was to get there early and get in before the bouncer got there (which normally works extremely well). However, by the time 6 o'clock rolled around, the bouncer was already there. I ended up trying to brute force my way in, but to no avail. God I really need to get a fake ID.

After recouping and realizing there was no way of getting in, I decided it would be a good idea to go see Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin at the Knitting Factory, and make the evening not quite a complete waste. I was interested in seeing if SSLYBY was really all they were hyped up to be. The first opener had dropped out, and the show didn't start until 10:30. SSLYBY proved to be pretty catchy and fun considering I wasn't all that familiar with their material. Songs, like "Pangea" proved to be espeically witty, with lyrics "Pangea/Where did you go?/Why did we have to drift apart?" All the band members were fairly talented considering their ages; they ended up switching instruments a few times, and the drummer (name?) even sung a few songs. The set was short, but memorable. At one point a string on the Squire guitar they were using broke, and an audience member was enlisted to change the string while a Gibson SG (which we were assured went out of tune by the end of every song as for the reason they were using the Squire the whole time) was used to replace it.

Catfish Haven was up next, but I didn't end up staying for the whole set. The singer had a raspy, unrefined voice, but what got me was that the songs were extremely repetitious and at a point I wasn't enjoying myself, so I headed for the door.

Thus ended one of the most disappointing nights of my limited memory, but no fault to SSLYBY. However, I did end up getting January through the mail. Well worth it.

Bishop Allen
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

Oh, and sorry about the really long delay on this post. I've been extremely busy doing engineer things, and other shows, which hopefully I'll be posting about soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home