Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Monday, October 31, 2005

For the first time, I find history interesting!



I think that I'm in love. The XYZ Affair provide everything I need in a band, and they offer their first EP for free on their website!! Does it get any better? I don't think so. Though I did much snooping, I was unable to find where this band was originally based, though since their inception, they have played all over the place. I will be at their next show at the Terrace Club, you should be there too (more details at the end of the post). I mean, just listen to them! They've got catchy guitar riffs, great vocals, some of the best songwriting I've heard in a while. I find myself singing "Hello Hello Hello" all the time, it's embarrassing, but it's that good of a song. The next song on the EP, "Michael McClory" has saxophone!!! But not just saxophone; it has a saxophone solo... that's class. Both Kyle and I are big fans of the saxophone. The next two songs on the EP, "A Little Lye" and "The Duke Of Paris" are equally catchy, with excellent guitar that almost makes me weep with joy. However the last song, "Diane" has something that sets it apart from the other songs. It has the catchy vocals, the superb guitar work, the exceptional drumming, and the overall greatness of The XYZ Affair, but it also has a section of layered vocals. If there's anything that tickles my fancy, it's intricate vocal parts such as harmonies and syncopation. These vocals, however, incorporate all of my favorite things, and squish them together into 65 seconds of pure awesomeness.

Come see The XYZ Affair at The Terrace Club in Princeton, NJ Friday, November 18th at 11:00PM with The Harlem Shakes and Group Sounds (who are also deserving of glowing reviews).

The XYZ Affair

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home