Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

MySpace SchmySpace

Alright, this post is going to have to use a brief preface. I have never used MySpace. I never plan on using MySpace. I don't see where the infatuation of a few of my friends for this site comes from. I don't understand it. I must be out of the loop. However, I am aware of the music section, and it is nice to be able to hear samples of bands. But its is nearly impossible to hear about good music off of MySpace, only using MySpace. There's just too much shit to wade through to find those, well... whole peanuts I guess.

But now they've gone and done this. Made their own record label, and let me tell you, their first release looks quality. I mean, Jesus Christ, it's got Fall Out Boy on it. What more could you want?

I guess this thing would work a bit better in theory, and I know that at least my musical tastes aren't reflected in any of the bands on the album, but it's really not all about the kind of music the featured bands play. It's also the audience. In my head, at least, MySpace takes normal, God-fearing teens, and churns out these private messaging pretentious little abominations, who are incapable of writing in complete sentences, or coming across as vaguely intelligible for that matter. Let me tell you, I just hope for my own satisfaction that the liner notes of this thing goes something like

"OMG! Were putting out a record ROFLMAO!!1 Have u seen the guys in AAR!? There sooooooooooo hawt. lol"

At least the architects of this monstrosity figured out their target demographic. I hardly think I can blame them for not being business savvy.

Even if there were a lot of half-decent to excellent bands on this compilation, I would be hard pressed to purchase it. I don't know if I could live with myself after buying a record put out by a online social networking service, whose mere existence I loathe. It's just a sampler, so this whole thing really doesn't make any sense whatsoever. One of the major draws for people towards the music section of the site is so that the bands' material can be sampled. If you like what you hear, you can contact the band and purchase an album. Or did I miss something along the line? Instead, MySpace has made a sampler of music it deems the best and most popular, added a few big names, and hopes to sell it. So who would be stupid enough to buy this thing, if you could sample the bands on MySpace and purchase albums from those you like? To which I hope the answer is stupid MySpace people.

PS - Weezer... why? Why did you make "We Are All On Drugs," and why are you on this compilation. I try to like you. Blue and Pinkerton were great. I try to like the new stuff, I really do. The songs that aren't played on TV aren't really that bad. But why?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home