Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Jetpack




So, I think I've finally decided to just follow Bishop Allen around, no matter where they're playing. If it's in California, so be it. The same goes for if it's Australia. I'll even grow a moustache in case they decide to play a 21+ gig. Mmm... I need to ponder on the thought of me with a moustache for a bit... Yeah...

Anyway, Bishop Allen... remember, I wrote about how cool they are last week?... well, they're playing in Fluffy this weekend. And I am so on top of that. They're one of a half dozen bands playing (the show is being billed as "an afternoon delight", running from 2 to 9 at night), including one Jetpack. So, I had nothing better to do on Tuesday, and I visited their website, and boy, they surely slap you in the face with one of the catchiest, raddest indie pop-rock songs I've heard in a long time, and not only that, the video for it. This Nashville/Texas based band (don't ask me how that works) knows how to get the job done. The aforementioned single of sorts, "Mathematics", is one hell of a song. It's got everything from group clapping, some nice guitar syncopations, gratuitous but not out of control synthesizer, and ample opportunity for audiences to join in the "hey hey hey"'s. And let me tell you... Jetpack Sean (as they have taken the names "Jetpack *insert first name here*") has got some style. I don't know what it is, I just can't seem to resist these nerd rock bands. It must say something about me. But this is besides the point. The point is that Jetpack shove more awesome into this three minute song, it boggles the mind. And this one wasn't a fluke by any means. Others like "Destroy Your Hideout" and "Matters of Science" are also gems. I really can't wait to see them on Saturday. It seems that Bishop Allen may be trying to fill the void which We Are Scientists left when they signed to Virgin.

The show itself has been booked by Plain Parade, and is going to take place at 3233 Amber Street in Philadelphia. It seems that this is the address for both "Thrifty Needle" and/or the Oliver Knitting Company. So while many people can say they've been to the Knitting Factory either in New York or California to see a show, I'll be so scene I will have been to a show at an actual knitting factory. The bands playing include the aforementioned Bishop Allen and Jetpack, along with a Jetpack side project/band with nearly the same members named the Foxymorons, Walker Lundee, Raisch-Hirsch, and Dragon City.

Samples (These are available on their website, and therefore I'm hoping I won't get sued. If anyone has a problem with these being here, please contact me and they will be taken down. This will be my policy from this point on.):

Mathematics
Gloomy Jules

Jetpack
Plain Parade
Oliver Knitting Factory?!?

1 Comments:

At 10/31/2005 12:31 PM, Blogger Ross The Boss said...

These are available on their website, and therefore I'm hoping I won't get sued. If anyone has a problem with these being here, please contact me and they will be taken down. This will be my policy from this point on. - Kyle

Mine too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home