Sounds Of Thunder

Delving into the NYC music scene

Friday, October 28, 2005

We Are Scientists, cont.

So, all ended well yesterday. We all arrived at the door a little after 6, and waited for a good time outside. We did however meet Chris Cain, with whom I had a little chat about a potential show at Rutgers (cross your fingers folks). It was still pretty cool to see the guys lugging in their own equiptment from their van parked outside, I must admit, it was humbling.

After getting the tickets, we mosied around the area, and I got a free copy of The Great Gatsby outside of a book store. Anyway... we got back to the venue, and as we were waiting in line to get upstairs, I noticed a woman with a We Are Scientists poster, and I couldn't help but ask where she had gotten it from. She turned around and said, "Oh, I'm with Virgin", and proceeded to give me a poster. I still can't seem to swallow how big they are now. It's really surreal. I mean, they're opening for Hot Hot Heat next month at Starland. What in the world has happened?

The show was pretty excellent. Tomorrow's Friend came on first, and they were pretty good. They are a little out there, where a good deal of there songs turn into noise that's played to a beat. Christian Owens played with them, after an apparent conflict on who would be appearing. The ended coming out with not only Christian Owens, but a flutist. You heard me... a flutist. They only played for 30 min, which amounted to 5 or so songs for the gang.

We Are Scientists came out next, ready and willing to rock. It's a wonder that some nice instruments and 4 or so feet elevation can turn such otherwise normal yet awesome people into rock dieties. It's still disappointing that they neglect to play any of the old stuff, including anything off of the absolutely brilliant Inaction EP, which is a favorite of mine. Don't get me wrong, the new stuff is great, but it leaves me longing for the good old days. We were then graced with C.O.'s presence with us up in the front, which was pretty awesome. She tapped me on the shoulder and stood right next to me. Her friends Julia and Darby also came over and danced with her. Chris was a smart alec enough to make a joking pass at Christian on stage, remarking on the figure of the bassist of the last band. Keith would have none of that of course. A few songs into the set, Keith broke a string on his Telecaster. He went to switch guitars, while Chris heckled about how he'd let fame get to his head and whatnot. Keith, after nearly finishing tuning the new guitar, put it away, and picked up the Telecaster, sans a "G" string (I hate to brag, but the string is now in my dorm room). The continued their set as if nothing were wrong, and it was indeed amazing. The finished with the inimitable "Great Escape". For the solo, Keith got down on his knees in front of his monitor and did some crazy guitar work. He then got up, threw his guitar, grabbed Chris's mic and stood on the bass drum. Chris likewise dropped his bass and began singing into the tom mic, all while Tapper kept on with the beat. It was one of the more ridiculous things I have ever seen at a show. So, all of you in We Are Scientists, kudos for an excellent show.

I sort of wish I was more prepared for Ambulance, Ltd. I must admit, I had not prior to last night heard many of their songs. They were pretty good slow rock which had times of brilliance. The crowd was obviously a vast majority Ambulance fans, and it put my scrawny sweater vest and tie clad self a little bit ill at ease. But so be it. The guitarist for Ambulance gained my undying respect. The, like Keith, had some string troubles, but he, unlike Keith, broke his low E string. For Christ's sake, his low E string! In all my years, I have never seen that happen at a show. He ended up cutting his finger, but did he hesitate? No. He was a trooper. He switched guitars, to one which unfortunately/fortunately had a white pick guard. By the end of the set, there was blood sprayed all over the pick guard. It was pretty intense. They also played a Neil Young song, and I'll be damned if I don't remember which one. They came back for their encore without any kind of wait, and played a few apparent fan favorites. It was, overall, a really excellent show.

For those of you wondering, WAS will be playing the following dates. So go and get tickets. Now. Go.
  • Sun October 30 2005
    Los Angeles, CA / Troubadour
  • Wed November 2 2005
    Seattle, WA / Crocodile Cafe
  • Thu November 3 2005
    Portland, OR / Dante’s
  • Sun November 6 2005
    Louisville, KY/ Jillian’s
  • Mon November 7 2005
    Columbus, OH / Newport Music Hall
  • Wed November 9 2005
    Syracuse, NY / Club Tundra
  • Thu November 10 2005
    Buffalo, NY / The Buffalo Icon
  • Fri November 11 2005
    Cambridge, MA / Walker Memorial Marss Hall
  • Sat November 12 2005
    Hartford, CT / Webster Theatre
  • Mon November 14 2005
    Burlington, VT / Higher Ground
  • Tue November 15 2005
    Johnson City, NY / Magic City Music Hall
  • Wed November 16 2005
    Providence, RI / Lupo’s at the Strand
  • Thu November 17 2005
    Sayreville, NJ / Starland Ballroom
  • Sat November 19 2005
    Baltimore, MD / Sonar Lounge
And the well worked over UK dates (they're all sold out, you guys must really be catching on):
  • Mon November 28 2005
    London, GB / King’s College
  • Tue November 29 2005
    Manchester, GB / Manchester Academy 2
  • Wed November 30 2005
    Glasgow, SCT / King Tut’s
  • Thu December 1 2005
    Birmingham, GB / Flapper & Firkin
I'll be at the Starland show, where they'll be opening for Hot Hot Heat. See you there, hopefully somewhere up at the front.

We Are Scientists
Tomorrow's Friend
Ambulance, Ltd.
Starland Ballroom

No post tomorrow. Going to PA with a fine lady to aforementioned Bishop Allen/Jetpack show.

Sorry, I had to take down the pictures, email me if you want them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home